|trouble (trouble) wrote,|
@ 2010-07-28 11:04 am UTC
So, things that may actually not get my rant-on:
Treasure Hunting to end of Nova Scotia. As an historian, I find this very interesting. I know it's something the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic has been advocating for, because right now the province gets 10% of all treasures found, and the person who finds them gets the other 90%. This means that few artefacts make their ways into museums.
Our really shitty museums
(Oh, see, that not-ranting didn't last very long.)
Now, don't get me wrong: I'm glad we have the museums we do, but their funding is shite and their displays are awful and they're woefully out of date and it's terrible. (I, for one, fully support the old library being turned into a Halifax City museum, and thus taking all the Halifax City stuff out of the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic and replacing it with Atlantic Stuff, but as things stand right now there's just a whole section of the museum that's just "Here's some things we found under water! There's no context! Enjoy!!!!" and it's fucking tragic, I'm telling you.)
... I mean, um, museums pretty.
(Here's a follow-up story: Treasure hunters will skirt new law. Treasure hunters: You should be following Tia Carrera in Relic Hunter is what you should be doing.)